Wednesday, April 29, 2020

April Finishes

April Roses
Well April is nearly gone and my OMG for the month has not been met. Not only not met - I've done no work on it since I posted my April goal here early in the month. My goal was to get the quilt for my niece Abigail layered, basted, and at least half way finished quilting.  However after posting that goal I realized I didn't have enough fabric for a backing and with stay at home orders in place in California I couldn't go to our local quilt shop to buy fabric. My only option was to find and order fabric on line, which I did right away. It hasn't come yet. I got an email from the company over a week ago asking me to be patient, that they had to reduce their work force to maintain a safe distance in their work environment. They promised to get my order shipped as soon as they could. Their email came two weeks after I placed my order. I haven't gotten any notice yet that my order has been shipped.


Saturday Blues
Happily Abby's birthday isn't until June, so I still have some hope of getting the quilt done, if not right on time, at least not terribly late. I'm glad that the company is working to keep their employees safe from the virus, so I will continue to wait and hope. In the meantime I've been busy in the sewing room. Today I finished and hung my Saturday Blues quilt for the April RSC in the hall outside my laundry room. In the old house my kitchen and laundry room/pantry were blue and white. This house however doesn't lend itself to that color scheme so the only place I can put my blue things is the laundry room. But there's no wall space for it so the quilt brings the blue out into the hallway.

Nigel
Nigel came to keep me company while I stitched down the binding on the back, which was fine while he stayed put and watched. But being the big sweet boy he is he decided he wanted to "help" me stitch. Of course I didn't want his paw to get damaged by the needle, nor the thread by his claws so I had to resort to a little deception to move him along. I managed to make my thimble tap loud enough on the underside of the table to make him think someone was knocking on the door, which did the trick. He got down and went to investigate and let me finish my task on my own.

Pinwheels Quilt

The Saturday Blues quilt is the second finish I managed this month, I also finished  the Sparkle Stars quilt that I started in February. It's a little quilt for Nigel and you can read about it in my post Sparkle Stars Finish. I've also gotten some work done on the dark blue and tan pinwheels UFO that I ran across in February when I organized my scraps and rearranged my stash. The blocks are sewn into rows, but the rows still need to be sewn together. Then I will have to figure out what I'm going to do to it next. As you can see Abby's quilt is still on the design wall, I'm now just pinning other things over it. Orange bits on the pinwheel quilt are just row markers.

Spring Tablecloth
Lastly I decided I wanted a tablecloth in spring colors, so I spent a couple of days last week working on that. It still needs a couple of borders to get it to the right size for my kitchen table, so it will keep me busy for a while yet unless the back for Abby's quilt shows up. The pattern is Afternoon Delight designed by Ann Laure for Grizzly Gulch Gallery. I have a tablecloth in fall colors from this pattern and have another top finished in Christmas fabrics which is just waiting to be quilted. I used my favorite colors in this one. It is also pinned over something else on the design wall waiting for my attention.



 I'm linking up with One Monthly Goal at Elm Street Quilts at
https://www.elmstreetquilts.com/2020/04/one-monthly-goal-april-finish-link-up.html

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Love your helpful cat!

Patty said...

Lovely. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!