Saturday, May 2, 2020

These Boots Aren’t Made for Walkin’

The RSC color for May is dark green. I knew I had a good supply of scraps that would work so I pulled them first thing this morning. But I had no idea what I was going to do with them. So I went out to the living room to drink my coffee and relax hoping to come up with an idea at some point today.

I read a few posts on the blogs I follow while enjoying my coffee. Barbara at Cat Patches mentioned a pattern that she received in the mail from a friend. It’s a boot pattern called Crazy for Cowboys.  It looks like a fun quilt and reminded me that I made a boot quilt long ago for my niece Hannah, with a pattern of my own.

If you aren’t familiar with Cat Patches check it out. I always enjoy Barbara’s posts. https://catpatches.blogspot.com/

Boots from dark green scraps sounded like a good idea so I went to the sewing room, dug out the pattern, and got started. I will likely include other colors but this is a good beginning. Some of the patterns were already traced onto fusible web leftover from the original quilt so I didn’t need to do much prep work today, though some of them gave me quite a bit of trouble so I may have to switch over to newer fusible. I got three pairs of boots done today. I don’t have a suitable background in my stash but just learned that our local quilt shop is open for limited hours during the week. I may have to pay them a visit.

Here is a shot of the original quilt. I plan on doing a very different layout for the new one. I will also change up some of the boot design details, and won’t be using any wild bright colors. I wish I knew when I made Hannah’s quilt, but I have no notes on it at all. I’m glad I have a picture of it. I asked Hannah about it and she thinks it was 2006, the year she was into horseback riding.

I’m linking up with Angela at So Scrappy for the 2020 RSC.
https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/

Speaking of boots. I pulled a rather old project out this week and have started working on it again. As I mentioned above I like to have some quiet time in the morning while I enjoy my coffee. Hand work is ideal for that time of day. When the weather is cold I like to knit and crochet, but when it warms up I want a lighter project and embroidery is just the thing.

The  piece is actually further along than what’s pictured here. Maybe I can get this part of it done by October. This is the center piece of a quilt called Which Witch’s Boot by Meg Hawkey of Crabapple Hill Studio. I chose all the fabric for the project when I bought the pattern and have been saving it with the pattern so it will be ready for me when I finally get the embroidery done.

I’ll be linking up with Kathy tomorrow for Slow Sunday Stitching at https://kathysquilts.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Hannah Boot quilt is SEW cute!! I think the no-sunglasses-required boots will be just as darling. Good luck with getting that Witch's Boot embroidery done by Halloween!

CathieJ said...

I like your green boots and I love that witches boot. Enjoy your stitching.

Susie H said...

The green boots sounds like the perfect project. I did that witch's boot. It was a fun coloring/embroidery project. I changed the pieced border on mine ... made Twister blocks for the border. Have a ball -- I like embroidery too in the hotter months. Either that or hexies!

Quilter Kathy said...

What a wonderful embroidery you are working on... so fun!
This blog post could be called... green boots and one purple boot!