Tuesday, February 11, 2020

The Elephant in the Room

Canyon Rim Quilting
I started this quilt a  couple of years ago for my great nephew Beckett and finished the top a couple of weeks ago. He will be getting a baby sister soon so I think I’d better get his baby quilt finished before he isn’t the baby of the family any more.

This is my first attempt at a quilt made up of two inch finished squares. And the first time I’ve constructed a quilt from a cross stitch pattern. Probably the last time for that sort of experiment too.

Even though the pattern I used created some awkward places, I think overall the little elephant came out pretty cute. Leave a comment below if you’d like to suggest a name for this little guy. I’ll post again later when it’s finished and say which name I’ve chosen.

I have the back ready so just needed to decide about the quilting and then get it layered. I think I’m going to go with just a simple pattern of diagonal lines through the squares after outlining the elephant.

This is also the first time I’ve made a practice piece to try out a quilting pattern before layering the quilt. It showed me that I’m not ready for free motion quilting without a pattern.

My thought had been to do this simple design on the elephant and the diagonal lines on the background. But the stitching on my sample came out pretty wonky, so unless I can come up with a decent template to trace and follow I’ll stick with diagonal lines for the whole thing.


Next Post: Joining the 2020 RSC

1 comment:

Susie H said...

I love your little elephant! Adorable!! Your quilting is fine. Just think how good you'll be at it when you're finished! I say go with it. The baby will love it and it will be DONE!