Thursday, February 6, 2020

On the Design Wall


This quilt began long ago when my niece Abigail was about 11 or 12. During a weekend visit with us she chose fabrics from my stash and began a quilt for herself. I cut fabric while she sewed the pieces together, doing her best to maintain quarter inch seams. Turns out sewing wasn’t that much fun for her so her “quilt” languished for years. I’ve pulled it out from time to time and sewed some pieces together, but with her lack of interest and my having plenty of other projects to work on, not much got done. But now Abby has moved into her first apartment and I would like to get this finished for her.

The pattern is called Roman Square and comes from the book “Quilts, Quilts, Quilts, the Complete Guide to Quiltmaking” by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes.  Their example quilt is set on point and made up of scrap fabrics except for the corner triangles and borders. I’ve tried a couple of layouts already, neither of which I’ve liked. What’s on the board now (pictured above) isn’t a design, just a place to get all the block components together.


My first design attempt.

My second attempt

I like the second attempt better than the first so will be keeping the design on point, but plan to make significant changes to the layout. My goal for February is to finalize the design layout and begin piecing the block components together.

Next post: The Elephant in the Room







1 comment:

Patty said...

Fun! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your projects.