Monday, June 8, 2020

Monthly Goals for May and June

I've been concentrating on getting Abby's quilt finished so haven't made any posts in a couple of weeks. Some things about the marking process didn't work out well and really slowed me down. I had hoped to have it finished by the end of the month since finishing it was my one monthly goal for May. I missed it by about a week. I finished it on Friday but was too tired to make a post at the time. Saturday I drove up to Abby's place to give it to her, just in time for her birthday. I don't think I've ever completed a project on time before, especially a few days early.
I hadn't seen Abby since January so was very glad that I could deliver it in person and share in her excitement as she opened her gift and realized it was the quilt we had started together when she was 10 or 11 years old. It grew significantly since that early beginning, but she had chosen the fabrics she wanted from my stash so I knew her desired colors and was able to add fabrics that stayed within that scheme.

I miss seeing it on my design wall but I have other projects waiting for my attention so my design wall will soon be full again. Today I finished a crib size Ladybug quilt top. It's been hanging around on my design wall waiting for me to finish Abby's quilt. Yesterday I sewed the four patch units together and then sewed the rows together. Today I finished sewing together the blocks for the border and got the borders sewn on.  I don't have anyone in mind to gift this to. I had originally planned on making it for my great niece Blaire, but her Mom had other ideas about the colors and fabrics she wanted for the quilt.
That was five years ago, I was working in Flo's studio at the time and was reveling in having so much space to work in. I completed several quilts that year, this one for Blaire included. I have no idea now how I got those prairie points onto the outer edge of the quilt. As you can see, it's very different from the idea I had in mind for her quilt. But I think it turned out to be a very sweet quilt.



Choosing one goal for the month is hard when I have so many projects in mind and quite a number of them in various stages of completion, like the Ladybug quilt. There is the boot quilt, which I want to have ready for Christmas. I found the perfect fabrics (shown here) for the background, sashing, and cornerstone blocks for that quilt this week. I'm pretty excited about it, it's going to be a fun quilt to make. And I have quilt tops done for two tablecloths, my Christmas tablecloth that I had hoped to be my One Monthly Goal for July, and my Spring tablecloth, that I had thought of quilting this month. But all this will have to wait.

My one monthly goal for June is to begin a quilt for my husband that I promised to make for him long ago. Not just begin the quilt but get as much done as possible on it in the coming weeks. I want to have the blocks cut and at least begin sewing them together this month. If they are simple enough, then I'd like to have all the blocks made by the end of the month. Here are the fabrics I got for Dan's quilt, they've been sitting in this project box for far too long. Purple is his favorite color, I added the teal. My original idea for the quilt was a two block pattern but I decided I didn't really like that pattern so I will be using the Magic Stars pattern that Joy from The Joyful Quilter posted on her blog in March. Joy also posted a tutorial for how to make the blocks. They look great and not too difficult, and I hope will work well for a two color quilt.  You can find pictures of the blocks and the tutorial here:  https://thejoyfulquilter.blogspot.com/2020/03/magic-star-tutorial-with-tiffany.html 

I'm linking up with Patty at Elm Street Quilts for One Monthly Goal at https://www.elmstreetquilts.com/2020/06/one-monthly-goal-june-link-up.html

I'm linking up with Design Wall Monday at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts at https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com

I'm linking up with Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt at https://lovelaughquilt.blogspot.com

I hope you have a lovely week. Stay safe and well.

4 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I bet it was a nice feeling to get a quilt done that was a long time in the works and glad to hear she loved it. All the others that you show look great.

Kathy said...

I love the pattern you picked out for Dan’s quilt:)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Abby's quilt turned out beautifully and I think a 2-fabric Magic Star quilt will look awesome! Thanks for the shout out. I appreciate it SEW much!

Dorian said...

Abby sure does look happy with that lovely quilt! What a beautiful smile on her. I love your prairie points, they are one of my favorite things to add to a quilt... although I haven't done so in a long time!