Monday, June 22, 2020

Magic Stars and Charm Squares

I have two current projects on the design wall today, both of which are at a standstill for the moment because I need fabric for one and embroidery thread for the other. So I'm about to pull out another project that is simply waiting to be layered and basted so I can start quilting. I will shop for the other projects this afternoon when I go to town for a dental appointment.

I will be shopping for fat quarters for the Magic Stars quilt pictured here. Each star begins with four ten inch squares, two of each contrasting fabric. I'm picking up two fat quarters that will look good together for each block I add, just from what my LQS has on hand while I'm there. I want each block to be unique, but plan for one of the fat quarters for each pair to be a purple fabric. Cutting two ten inch squares from each fat quarter leaves a fair amount of fabric left over for my stash, she said with a smile.


The blocks lend themselves to some drama if the fabrics have enough contrast. The red one in the top left corner doesn't have much and may have to be replaced. The blocks are simple and quick to make and will measure 17.25" finished. This won't be my final layout. It's nice to have a design wall large enough to really play with design options for a large quilt. If you are interested in more information on these blocks Joy from The Joyful Quilter has posted a tutorial for making these blocks on her blog and includes some different design options. You can find her tutorial here: https://thejoyfulquilter.blogspot.com/2020/03/magic-star-tutorial-with-tiffany.html

I will also be shopping for some deep pink embroidery thread for my Charm Squares Heart quilt pictured here. Again, there is a contrast problem with this quilt. The yellow heart doesn't stand out enough on the pale pink background fabric I used. So I'll blanket stitch around the edge of the heart with the pink thread so it will be more visible.

I read this morning on Julie's blog, at https://quiltdivajulie.blogspot.com that Creative Grids has come up with a template for making a mask, and they give a little video tutorial on how to use it and get the mask sewn. So I will also be looking to see if our LQS has those on hand, and some elastic if they do. If you follow the link to Julie's blog she has posted a link to Creative Grids where you can check out the new mask template.

One other thing I'll be looking for at my LQS today is more of the green fabric I used in the Magic Stars quilt (block in the top right corner). I wasn't at all sure about it when I purchased the fat quarter, but it works beautifully with the fabric from my stash. I've fallen in love with it and have another plan for it, a different quilt altogether. But I won't be talking about that for a while.

Okay, I guess that's it for today. I want to get busy layering that quilt.
I hope you have a lovely day. Stay safe and stay well.

I'm linking up with Judy at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday at https://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com

Follow the link to see what other quilters are up to today.

Have a great week!

1 comment:

The Joyful Quilter said...

LOVE what you've got going on with those Magic Stars, Janis! Thanks for the shout out, too. :o))