Saturday, June 27, 2020

A Friday Finish

I pulled my Pinwheel quilt top out of the closet this week to work on while I waited for a chance to get more fat quarters for the Magic Stars quilt and embroidery floss for my Charm Square Heart quilt. It's a smallish wall quilt so I was able to get it finished this week.


I only found two fat quarters for the Magic Stars quilt which made one block. It went together very quickly, so didn't take much time away from working on the Pinwheel quilt. I also found the embroidery floss I needed but I haven't worked on that just yet.

I used a new marking pen on the dark navy squares. Marking dark fabrics has always been a challenge for me. This new pen worked pretty well. It's a Clover white marking pen. I marked it prior to basting the quilt and found when I went to quilt it that the marks were not always visible enough for me to follow. I wound up marking a number of them over again. Next time I'll just wait until I'm ready to quilt before marking with this pen.


I'm glad to have the Pinwheel quilt finished for a couple of reasons. First, those little blue pinwheels were a UFO that hung around for about 18 years. Secondly, I've been wanting a quilt to replace a painting I had hanging in the hallway outside the master bedroom, and this quilt is the perfect size. We hung it up this morning and are very happy with the change.

It's difficult to see the colors in this picture, so I'll put in one below that I took yesterday afternoon out in the sunlight. It was HOT out there, it's a wonder the quilt didn't wilt!


I've always loved a blue and brown, or blue and tan color combination. So I had the other fabrics in the quilt boxed up with the pinwheels for quite a while knowing that I wanted to include them in whatever I came up with to do with the pinwheels. The design on the dark navy squares is a tan print that perfectly matches the tan corner triangles around the pinwheels. I think the white and blue fabric in the center give the quilt a little sparkle.




I hope you have a great weekend. I've got more projects to work on so better get with it. Stay safe and stay well.




I'm linking up with Alycia at Alycia Quilts for Finished or Not Finished Friday at http://alyciaquilts.blogspot.com/2020/06/cowboy-quilt-top-and-finished-friday.html?m=1

4 comments:

Kathy said...

The pinwheels look very nice on the wall:) And the white blocks do make it sparkle!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I bet you pleased with the hanging of the quilt it looks nice at the end of that hallway. I usually mark as I quilt as the marks rub off too much I find - I use a mechanical pencils with white chalk on the dark colors

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on your Pinwheel UFO finish!! :o))
Sorry to hear that you only found two FQs at the quilt shop to work for the Magic Stars. That must have been SEW disappointing! :o((

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Its a perfect finish!!! And! Does it re-age when it gets finished? so now they aren't 18 but 1 month old again? ha ha!!!