Saturday, March 14, 2020

Chasing Squirrels

I’ve been chasing scrappy squirrels all week. After making the sample teal Sparkle Star block last week I decided that I liked it enough to make a small quilt from it. It will be 15 blocks in teal and purple. Truth be told only the purple bits are scraps. There were not enough teal scraps in the right sizes to work for this project so I pulled the teal from my stash. I got star points made for ten blocks and then ran off to chase another squirrel.


My needle storage approach has been a bit haphazard and a little dangerous. So off I went to the internet to look for needle book tutorials. After watching several videos and looking at lots of variations on Pinterest I went to my scraps and pulled out more purple and teal and made a start on one of my own.







This is the current state of the inside. Most of the samples I saw use felt for the pages, but I don’t  have any and am not making a special trip to Chico just for felt, so the pages are not yet included. I’m thinking of making quilted pages instead of using felt, but haven’t gotten that far yet. I am currently working on blanket stitching the edges with purple thread.






The outside is quilted four patches. After quilting it I glued a couple of pieces of thin cardboard to the inside, then laid the inside panel on top and top stitched around the edges. That left raw edges to deal with. I’m happy with the way the blanket stitching is looking. Some of the soap I used to mark it is still visible. I’ll rub that off once the raw edges are secured.

I’m pleased with this little project and anxious to get it finished. It’s taking longer than might be expected because I’m making it up as I go along and the blanket stitching is slow going, but that’s been fine. I’m enjoying the process.

I’m linking up with RSC 2020 at So Scrappy at

https://superscrappy.blogspot.com/2020/03/scraphappy-saturday-turquoise.html?m=1

I’m linking up with Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy’s Quilts at  https://kathysquilts.blogspot.com/



6 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your needlebook is such a great idea! I made one a couple years ago and find it really handy. Wish I would have thought to put a pocket in the front for my little scissors like you did!

Kathy S. said...

Oooo La La! Your fabric scraps are so rich and lush in color. Gorgeous. I like the little pocket too!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Hooray for TEAL squirrels!!!

gayle said...

Your stars will make a gorgeous quilt!
But watch out for those squirrels - they'll lead you off in all sorts of wild directions!

Jill said...

Coincidentally, my needle storage situation is disorganized and I contemplate making a needle case.i did not know the taller triangles were called squirrels. Enjoy making your small squirrelly quilt.

Quilter Kathy said...

The pages of my needlebook are made from batting scraps and that worked well.
Enjoy your hand stitching today!