Sunday, January 3, 2021

Slow Down Sunday

Hello 2021, am I happy to see you! Just a quick post today. I wrote a rather lengthy post on the 31st, a review of the good things in my life in 2020. It also covers quilts I finished at the end of 2020 and more of my quilting plans for 2021. You can find that post here. I realized after posting it though that I had left out one of the very best things that happened for me in 2020.  My birthday/Christmas gift from my husband, Dan. 


It's a beautiful hand made Amish hand quilting frame. One of the lovely things about it is that I can use it anywhere in the house, so today I'm in the living room in front of the fireplace and the TV, that I can watch while I stitch. I've not used it a lot since it's arrival in October because other projects I needed to finish were taking my time. However, I want to make a commitment this year to try to finish the two hand quilting projects that I have partly done. They have both been in the works for many years and it's time to get them done. Setting aside Sunday for slow stitching also gives me the chance to slow down and rest from all the activity going on in the sewing room during the rest of the week. 


The first project I want to finish is my Purple Leaves quilt, it's a small table cover. I loved the fabric so much I couldn't bear to cut it up so decided to make a whole cloth quilt of it. It's much smaller that the other and is on the frame and getting some attention today. 


The other is my queen size Floral Log Cabin quilt that could easily take a year to get quilted even with a commitment to work on it one day a week this year. I've thought for some time now that setting Sunday aside for hand work was a good idea, I just didn't do it. I'm not good at New Year's resolutions but think making such a commitment is about the only way I'm actually going to accomplish the quilting on these pieces. 

I hope this New Year finds you well and happy with lots of fun quilting adventures for the coming months. 


I'm linking up with Kathy at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching. 

6 comments:

Kim said...

Your Amish handmade quilting hoop is such a beautiful gift. I am in love with the purple leaves' fabric, it is stunning. Your hand quilting will make this quilt even more amazing. Enjoy your hand quilting.

Karrin Hurd said...

Lovely quilt and quilting hoop! Good luck on making some progress on your quilting!

Dorian said...

Happy New Year Janis! That is such a lovely hoop, enjoy your time hand stitching, it's so peaceful to do :)

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

What a beautiful and useful gift!! Happy quilting in 2021!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Gorgeous!! One of my first quilts was a 50 x 50 inch Log Cabin that I made in my 2nd quilting class. Enjoy the process of hand quilting it, Janis!

Carissa said...

I love the purple log cabin! Good luck getting it quilted!