Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Quilted Garden

Good Morning Friends ~

Today I'm linking up with Rebecca Grace of Cheeky Cognoscenti in her brand new linky party called Long Arm Learning. I quilt on my domestic machine and don't have a long arm machine but anyone who machine quilts is invited to participate. Click the link on my side bar to visit the linky party and read Rebecca Grace's interview with long arm quilter Cheryl Degan.

I'm not currently quilting anything, busy in the piecing process for my Magic Stars quilt so I am sharing one of my past quilts that I'm especially fond of the quilting I did. This quilt was finished in September of 2016. The front of the quilt isn't that special, in fact it's rather incomplete because the pattern called for some applique, mostly around the border and I never got that done. The top was otherwise finished and had been sitting on the shelf for quite a long time. So when I shifted from my sewing corner into Flo's studio I decided to finish the quilt so I could give it away. Sad thing is I don't remember who I gave it to.

It's the back of the quilt that I really fell in love with. I used Minky fabric in purple, my favorite color, but it's the cuddly softness of the fabric that I love. Also the solid color allows the quilting to really stand out. I made the template for the large daisy design myself and used purchased templates for the smaller designs to fill up the spaces in between. Those little roses and butterflies don't show up well on the front of the quilt unless you have the quilt in front of you. But they show up nicely on the back. I had heard that Minky fabric was difficult to quilt. I didn't find it so. Well, no more difficult than any other quilting I've done.

Thanks to Rebecca Grace for hosting this linky party!

Stay Well and Enjoy your week!









6 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

The flower quilting was a great way to finish off your quilt. SEW sad that you don't recall who it was given to! :o((
At least, you remembered to get a photo before you gave it away!! :o))

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I think I made that pattern for two baby quilts but I'm remembering a wavy vine all the way around?

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Beautiful quilting!

Dorian said...

Oh Janis, that is LOVELY! I really like the colors and the layout, the quilting is just perfect, it doesn't need the applique. You did a fabulous job.

Rebecca Grace said...

What a pretty quilt, Janis! I love the daisies you quilted and, yes, I do see those roses and dragonflies! Minky can be challenging to quilt on a long arm machine if you load it with the stretch going the perpendicular to the rollers, because you don’t realize that you’re stretching it as you’re quilting and then, when you pop it off the frame, the stretched backing UNstretches and your quilt bunches up weirdly! I haven’t tried it myself, but other quilters swear that Minky behaves on a long arm as long as you load it so the stretch goes sideways. And of course, everyone hates the Minky fluff all over the place when you cut that fabric. I used it for several baby quilts that I quilted on my domestic Bernina before I got my long arm, and then used prepackaged satin binding for those quilts. I really liked how that resulted in three different textures for the baby to explore — smooth satin binding, soft, furry backing, and bumpy cotton quilted texture on the front. It’s too bad you don’t remember where your daisy quilt went, but at least you got good pictures before gifting it away! Thanks for linking up with us at Long Arm Learning!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Janis! I am popping over from Rebecca's linky! Your quilt is lovely and the sunflower seems to be the perfect choice for those open areas. They fill the space up nicely without taking away anything from the soft and squishy factor. I have just recently quilted two times using Minky on my DSM and had no issues. My great-niece just adores the feel so I use it every chance I get for her. I look forward to hearing more about your quilting adventures. ~smile~ Roseanne