Saturday, August 1, 2020

Morning in the Sewing Room

Good Morning, the sewing room is open. I'm at my sewing desk, feet up, enjoying my first cup of coffee. I often begin my day like this, sitting here looking around at what's going on in the room, enjoying the canyon view from my window, as well as the cool morning breeze. We keep the door closed at night to keep the cats out of the room, a simple preventative of overnight mischief. Suzette often sleeps outside the door and waits for me to open the room for her in the morning. Here she is taking her first morning sniff of the world out there. She has her own blanket there on the table as well as her little cuddle. If I could trust her to just spend the night on her blanket there I would leave the door open.

She has begun her morning nap, happy by the open window. I am still waking up and contemplating the day ahead. (Ignore the clock on the sewing desk - needs  a battery. It's much earlier.) Yesterday my head was somewhat messed up, lots of stress recently, mostly for heartaches and difficulties that friends are enduring just now. Though health issues of my own also enter into the mix. And Covid just makes it all worse. I'm tired of the limits, I want to see my family, blah, blah, blah.

On to my One Monthly Goal for August. I would like to complete the blocks for my Magic Stars quilt, and begin playing with design on the design wall. That will mean obtaining some more fat quarters. I've been thinking of visiting some quilt shops that are a little farther out from home, just to see what they may have to offer that our lqs might not have, though it does have a nice selection of fabrics. My plan for this quilt is for every block to have different fabrics - half purple and half something that contrasts nicely with the purple. So I've pretty much gotten all I can that works from the local shop. I enjoy exploring new shops and haven't done much of that lately. I have found a lovely shop about 90 minutes north of us this year and have been there a few times already. I have family living near by so take a little side trip to the shop after visiting. Only now is not a good time to be visiting family. The virus is expanding quickly in our county and I don't want to risk exposing my family if I've picked it up out on a shopping trip and just don't have symptoms.


I've finally joined the community of mask makers. I ordered the Creative Grids face mask template early this month and after completing my quilt for the Christmas in July Then and Now blog hop got busy and made a couple of masks for Dan and myself. I'm pleased with how they turned out and will be making more for family members. You can check out my Christmas tablecloth quilt I made for the blog hop in my Christmas in July post. It's listed under the 2020 Finishes tab.

So, morning is getting on. I need to get my breakfast and get moving. Porch and patio plants need watering. Then I have to tackle yesterday's mess up. My messed up head resulted in a very messed up stack of backward pieced blocks. Fortunately I discovered my mistake prior to pressing the seams, so it will be a little easier to rip them all out. Sadly they are long, bias seams. This fix will be slow and careful. I also messed up while I was cutting pieces for these blocks and wasted one of my purple selections so I have four blocks to complete instead of five. More fabric needed.

One thing to share that brightened my day yesterday. My niece Sheena sent me this picture of her son Beckett sleeping under the elephant quilt I made for him. Really made my day.

I hope your day is safe, productive and happy!




















I'm linking up with Patty at Elm Street Quilts for OMG 2020. https://www.elmstreetquilts.com/2020/08/one-monthly-goal-august-link-up.html



3 comments:

Dorian said...

Sounds like a nice way to begin the day Janis :) What a darling elephant quilt! I love your magic star blocks. I, too, have started making magic star blocks. Well, I've made a pile of them, now am deciding how I want to arrange them. Take care!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your Magic Star quilt is going to be SEW beautiful, Janis!! Oops blocks happen. Best of luck on finding additional fabrics.

Patty said...

Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly goal and good luck with your project.