Sunday, February 13, 2022

February 2022 ~ Week 2

Saturday 2/5 

Two rows knitting and 30 minutes hand quilting. Had planned to stitch for an hour but my shoulder got to hurting so I had to quit early. 


Sunday 2/6

Only managed two rows of knitting today. The weather here has been unseasonably warm, actually there have been a few record breaking days. Our ornamental plum trees are in bloom, and I think it's rather early. But they are beautiful and have a lovely fragrance. 



Monday 2/7

This morning I finished sub cutting the last 7 joined strips for the 4 square blocks and got the blocks sewn too. Now it’s time to set the project aside for a couple of days and prep my Snowflake project for quilting. I need to press it, mark it, layer it, and get it pinned. Then I will decide how to balance my time between getting it quilted and working on my new project. 


Tuesday 2/8

I had a doctor appointment this morning so only managed one row of knitting before I had to leave. When I got back home I took some time to do some cleaning in the garage. After that I came in for lunch and then started working on my Snowflake quilt. I got it down off the design wall and got it pressed and then started getting it marked. 

Wednesday 2/9

The baby blanket I'm knitting is coming along, I got two more rows of knitting done today. I typically knit during my morning coffee time, it's quiet and peaceful and the knitting is a pleasant task. Today though I decided to save my knitting for the afternoon knowing that I would be spending a fair amount of time working on marking the Snowflake quilt top. Spending time at the tables in the sewing room doing that kind of work usually puts my back in pain, so I saved the knitting for later because I can do that in my comfortable chair and it eases the pain right out.  



Thursday 2/10

I did more marking on the Snowflake quilt top today. When I needed to stop to relax my back I went to the sewing machine and began work on the quarter square triangles for the new quilt for the main bedroom. The light pinkish squares in the center are part of the star blocks and I got them all sewn to background squares. The reddish purple squares will be next to get sewn to background squares and then I will cut them diagonally and put them together to make quarter square triangle blocks.




Friday 2/11 

This morning I went for a walk with friend I haven't seen in quite a while. It was the longest walk I've taken in a long time, but was good because the ground was flat. When I walk our neighborhood there are some pretty steep hills to climb, so though I don't walk nearly as far, it's a good workout. Anyway, we then had lunch together. It was a really good visit and I was so glad to have the chance to connect. I only managed two rows of knitting today. 

Here is a shot of the marking I'm doing on the Snowflake quilt. I've not used this template before but I'm really liking how it's starting to look. I hope quilting it won't be too complicated. 



Saturday 2/12 

Our little Suzette has been very lonesome since we lost Nigel just before Christmas. I've thought about the possibility of getting a kitten to keep her company but wasn't sure how she would react to our bringing a new kitty into the house. So I set up a kitty play date for her to see what her reaction would be. I borrowed a lovely kitten, not a very tiny one, but still a kitten from a friend and brought him home to see how Suzette would react. She ran away and hid. She wouldn't come out so Dan and I played with the sweet kitty for a little while and then I took him back home. Sorry I didn't get a picture of him. He was a very sweet boy. Suzette didn't come out of hiding until the kitten had been gone for a few hours. 

I got two rows knitting done and did a Russian join at the end of a row. It didn't turn out very good. It works but is a bit awkward. I've only done that kind of join once before. Guess I need some practice. Then I did a regular join on my crochet shawl and got a row of crochet done too. 

Sunday 2/13 

This morning I got two rows of knitting done and will do a little more when I'm done with the blog post. I also need to get back to my hand quilting project. 

The colors for the February RSC are aqua and teal. I think I might try to organize the scraps instead of trying to get blocks done. Sorting through scraps that are just pushed in and wadded up in the drawer takes more time than I'm usually willing to give to get a couple of scrappy blocks done. I watched a video this week of someone who has a good method for organizing her scraps and I think I'm going to give it a try. 



I'm linking up with the following linky parties:

Judy Hansen of Small Quilts and Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday

Beth of Love Laugh Quilt for Monday Making

Jennifer at the Inquiring Quilter for Wednesday Wait Loss

Susan at Quilt Fabrication for Midweek Makers

Cynthia at Quilting is More fun than Housework for Oh Scrap!

Kelly at My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday

Angela at So Scrappy for Rainbow Scrap Challenge

Nina Marie at Creations - Quilts, Art, Whatever for Off the Wall Friday

Kathy at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching

Denise at For the Love of Geese for Put Your Foot Down 

9 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Busy and productive week! Your snowflake quilt is going to be a beauty, love the spirals. Have fun sorting your teal scraps!
Thank you for sharing your week, and linking up ;)

Kim said...

It looks as if there is a whiff of spring there with all those lovely blossoms. Oh my, your Snowflake quilt is beautiful

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

Can't wait to see that snowflake all quilted up! That should be really pretty!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I hope you remember to post that organizing link and let us know how the method worked for you, Janis!!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

It was the snowflake quilt that caught my eye. The high contrast between blue and white. I am amazed by all you are tackling simultaneously and appreciative of how by doing a little of this or that it keeps changing the demands on your body.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Such a nice week - I love long walks!!
and that quilting you are planning on the snowflake is going t be amazing

Linda said...

Your snowflake quilt is lovely. What are you using to mark the quilting? Your kitty looks so sweet, I'm sorry she lost her companion. I hope you like your new method of organizing scraps.
Thank you for linking with To Do Tuesday!

Sharon Kwilter said...

Your snowflake quilt is really lovely.

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Your snowflake quilt is so pretty! Looking good with the quilting plan you have. Can't wait for the finish! Hope your back is feeling better soon. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.