Saturday, September 5, 2020

A Touch of Red

Today I noticed a stained paper towel by my husband's reading chair, a mug rug for his morning coffee. Oh boy, I thought maybe I could do a little better than that for him, so found a few purple scraps and a few red ones to give it a little zip and got to work. I had this little nine patch mug rug ready for him in no time. That's it so far for this month's use of red for Angela's Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I will try for a little more during the month, but truth to tell I have very little red in my scrap drawer, it's not a color I use often in my quilting. I'm linking up with Angela at So Scrappy for the September Rainbow Scrap Challenge.






I'm still in purple mode, since the two Magic Star quilts I'm working on are half purple. I made a purple 16 patch block last Saturday and then didn't do a post. Honestly I was rather disappointed with the block - I didn't find enough light scraps to make any of it shine - I think it all looks pretty dull. Maybe I should have sneaked some red into it. 






My One Monthly Goal for August was to finish the blocks for the large Magic Stars quilt and come up with a layout on the design wall. I met and exceeded that goal. I finished the quilt top and bought batting for it. I already have the backing fabric I'm going to use. What I missed though was to post my completed goal. Sigh. My goal for September is to get the back put together for the Magic Stars quilt, layer it,  get it quilted and finished. Ya, and to remember to link up with Patty at the end of the month. I'm linking up with Elm Street Quilts for September's One Monthly Goal. 






I've also been working on getting some new masks made for my sister and my niece. They are almost finished. I love the colors they chose and have had fun putting them together. I was glad to have the fabric on hand for all of them. 








Overall it's been a slow week, I spent most of the day Monday running around Chico trying to get as many errands done in one trip as possible. It wiped me out for a few days and slowed me down for the rest of the week. It's been hot here, and it's been smokey. Monday was probably the least smokey day we've had since the fires started in mid August. Today it's hot and windy and smokey. I got out early to get my plants watered and got a couple of pictures of my Morning Glory vine. I'm rather amazed by it. I planted the seeds for that last year and got just a little bit of growth and a few flowers. I didn't plant anything in that pot this year and didn't expect any morning glories at all. 








There was a little volunteer sprout from the Japanese Maple tree so I was putting some water in the planter to keep that going and the morning glory sprouted. It's been plagued with spider mites, but has taken off anyway, climbing up the trellis and spilling over, clinging to the wall and making friends with the fern next to it. I'm rather delighted with it, though troubled by the mites. If you happen to know a remedy for spider mites I'd love to hear about it. 

It was already pretty warm out when I got the picture this morning so the flowers were already nearly spent. It never really got cool overnight last night. It's 101 degrees outside right now so I don't expect it's going to cool down much tonight either and tomorrow is supposed to be hotter. 

The ferns were Dan's mom's plants, one from her bedroom and one from her studio. The stands I have them on were also hers. I love how they decorate the front porch. Last summer I wasn't able to care for them due to illness and nearly lost them. You would never know it to see them now. I did lose other plants, but I'm very happy to still have the ferns. 

Wish I knew how to get these photos side by side. It certainly looks like there is enough room to have them together but I can't figure out how under the new Blogger format. For the most part the new format doesn't bother me. I've been able to find most everything I want, but not that. 








This is Waldo. He lives on my front porch. I never know where he is, that's why I named him Waldo. He doesn't show himself often so it's always a bit of a surprise when he shows up, and I never know where that will be. He has travelled into the garage with me a couple of times, riding incognito on a plant I've brought to my potting table. He may start showing up here now and then. 


Here is a close up and a better look at Waldo himself. 

Well that's it for today I think. I've got time enough left this afternoon to finish the new masks. I'd better get to it. 

Hope you are having a great weekend and staying well and safe. 

4 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

You husband's mug rug was a great way to bridge the gap between last month's purple and this month's RED for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, Janis. Nice job and a thoughtful gift!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Magic Stars quilt is going to be beautiful! I love those blocks and the designs they can create. The ferns are beautiful - they look lovely on your front porch!

Dorian said...

Hi Janis, glad you're getting some sewing in. What do you plan on doing with your 16 patch? if it's going with others, they will brighten it up. If not, you can always add some zing to it by a border. I can't wait for Fall to get here, cooler weather and RAIN. Please Lord let it be soon. I'm so tired of smoke! Have a great day.

Deb A said...

Waldo is adorable! The mug rug you made is perfect. Your magic stars quilt is a 'Wow'! I love how you set your blocks. Good luck on the challenge to get it together this month.